Wednesday 22 April 2015

Reflecting on Learning


As an early childhood professional I have many hopes for the children and families that I work with. My hope is for children to grow up in world where they don’t have to hide their identity. My want is for children to be proud of who they are, where they come from, and what they will become. How can this be accomplished when we live in a world where people are treated badly because of their differences (Laureate Education Inc., 2011)?


My continued hope is that there will be a time when our differences are celebrated and no one is treated badly because of their diversity.  We need to start teaching children at a young age to embrace diversity and challenge the misconceptions that surround them. My hope is for educators to get comfortable talking about how we are similar and different and create a caring environment where children feel safe asking questions so misunderstandings can be kept to a minimum. My hope is to use my new found knowledge as a tool to make a difference in the lives of our children and their families so they have the chance and opportunity to live their lives to the fullest without being treated unfairly.


It is that time once again to take a moment and thank everyone for all of your support, knowledge, and experiences that you have shared for the past eight weeks. I have learned so much from all of you. I feel lucky to be surrounded by so many caring, loving, and dedicated educators who only want the best for children and their families. Having the opportunity to read your Blogs and Discussion Board assignments have made me realize how lucky the children and families you work with are!!  Dr. Kien, I want to thank you for all of your support and encouragement that you have provided for us over the past eight weeks. The feedback that you provided me each week as helped me grow both professionally and personally and helped to challenge my thoughts. I am truly grateful for that!

Well……as we move on towards our final class, I just want to wish all of you the best and my hope is for all of you to have continued success! WE ARE ALMOST THERE!!!!

Take care,
Stephanie J

Reference

Laureate Education, Inc., (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Your commitment to anti-bias work. Baltimore, MD:Author


3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    first of all I want to say I truly enjoyed reading your blog; I absolutely love the artwork; you have inspired me to try to find a class this summer where I can learn how to do great PowerPoints and include videos, art, and music to my documents.
    My hope is that children grow up having a sense of pride in themselves and their culture without the fear of rejection. My hope is that educators around the world learn how to effectively teach anti-bias education.
    I want to take him the time to say thank you for your uplifting positive feedback on my discussion posts and blog; I enjoyed reading your comments. I hope to see you in the capstone course. Enjoy the break before the last class 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    I have truly enjoyed reading your weekly bogs. Thank you for sharing and providing your insight on the many issues of diversity and anti-bias work. The world we live in is so complex, and children are bombarded with so many daily issues regarding their identity and the identity of their families and others in the community in which they live. It's important they learn to be proud of who they as well as their family heritage.

    I'd also like to take this opportunity to wish you great success in your future endeavors as an early childhood professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    I have enjoyed reading your blog! I wish you the best as you continue your journey and I am sure you will impact children as an anti-bias educator.

    ReplyDelete